Wednesday, July 11, 2012

COOKIE #5: COCONUT MACAROONS

Wow, only 4 ingredients to Cookie #5. And after dealing with a cookie containing beef, this is a cookie I recognize with a smile. Maybe today we’ll finally have a grade A cookie! So what do I know about Coconut Macaroons? I know that I like them. And I know they have coconut in them.
What have I learned about Coconut Macaroons? That they are a type of meringue cookie that has been around for hundreds of years, appearing in recipe books as early as 1725.  Not 100% sure, but most believe that macaroons originated in an Italian monastery back in the 1500’s. Since then, the macaroon has held many shapes. In France, a macaroon is a colorful cookie sandwich. In the U.S., we generally think of coconut macaroons first, but they are often made with nuts as well.  And some macaroons have a jam filling. 
my soft peaks before adding sugar


A few people have asked me, why start a blog about cookies? Well, besides the fact that they are delicious, cookies have been around for over a thousand years (I’ll do a history lesson on cookies later). And the cookies listed in the 1962 BH&G cookbook seem to me like old souls with stories to tell. They remind me of a simpler time, before the frills of cupcake boutiques and high price tags. They are the oldie-but-goodies that have hung in there for at least the last 50 years, and I wanted to give them a nod of respect.

I'll take a cookie, Mama!  

Also, cookies are one of the most versatile items in the food world. Sweet, savory, salty, tart, you can add most any flavor profile into a cookie.  And they are the most forgiving baking item out there. Most times you bake, you must follow the measurements to the T, leveling off each item so just the right amount is added. And while this is true to an extent with cookies, they are much more flexible when it comes to what I call the “add-ins”. As long as your base is right, you can throw in as little or as many “add-ins” as you’d like! Candies, chocolate chips, dried fruits, bacon, nuts, sprinkles, etc. You can even be adventurous and add things like shaved carrots or cheeses. And besides unleashing your creative side, cookies are inexpensive! Most items in a cookie are basic household foods, like sugar, flour, eggs, and butter. Fun and cheap!


Back to Cookie #5, American coconut macaroons, like the kind you’ll find in the supermarket, are typically very dense, moist, chewy cookies. After looking at tons of recipes online, the recipe found in my ’62 BH&G cookbook is nothing like the traditional store-bought variety. Every recipe I looked at online contained condensed milk and twice as much coconut. I can see how those things would make for a denser cookie.  As for mine, they are lighter than air! I wish that my “stiff peaks” were stiffer before I added the coconut, but after 10 min of mixing, I surrendered. So my cookies spread a bit more than I thought, but they are still like eating melt-in-your-mouth-like-cotton-candy clouds that end with wonderful coconut flavor and a delicate chew. This recipe made 1½ dozen cookies and I wish there were more! It may not be a cookie that tickles everyone’s fancy, but its uniqueness and yummy coconut taste has me hooked. FINALLY, a cookie in this cookbook I’d make again exactly as it is. Yummmm… 

I'm 6 months old today!

Cookie Grade: A = heavenly cookie!  Wouldn’t change a thing.
so light, they could float away

 What I was jammin’ to: The Cat Empire (from Australia, in honor of my bestie Jacki’s bday today!)




Finally went & bought a timer. Best $1 spent! 




No comments:

Post a Comment