Saturday, June 30, 2012

COOKIE #2: HERMITS

Onto the first cookie in this cookbook that I’ve never heard of (that was quick) – Hermits. Judging by the ingredients, I’m guessing it’s a cookie that only hermits like to eat? I picture some white-haired man shut up in his home, sitting in some ghastly printed chair, watching Matlock, and eating these cookies. The recipe is eerily similar to the oatmeal cookies I baked, only we’ve exchanged the oatmeal for dates. And after not being a huge fan of the oatmeal cookies, I go into this cookie a bit leery.

I google “Hermit cookies”, like I google everything else (I can’t believe we didn’t have the internet when I was growing up!), and I come across recipes for Hermits dating all the way back to 1880.  My belief that only old people probably like this cookie is slightly validated. And apparently there are different versions of hermit cookies, but they all contain spices and most contain raisins and/or nuts. Some are drop cookies, like these, and some are rolled cookies.

The general consensus is that Hermit Cookies were so named because of their good keeping qualities, that is, they can be hidden away, similar to a hermit or recluse. This old fashioned 19th century cookie must have quite a few fans because on the American Food Holidays' calendar November 15th is National Spicy Hermit Cookie Day.

This recipe adds dates to the cookie, so I’m interested to see what kind of flavor that adds. Or will the dates just get lost in all the raisins? Dates are the fruit of the palm tree. There is archaeological evidence of date cultivation in eastern Arabia from way back in 6000 BC, so this fruit has made its rounds. Dates have a high sugar content and are a good source of protein, Vitamins A, & B.  I’m hoping the high sugar content will make this cookie sweeter than the oatmeal cookies I previously made. I can’t say that I’ve eaten many bad dates in my life, but I can say that I’ve had a lot of bad dates. Hardy har har. 


Always happy to help!
So I get the first batch in the oven and leave the kitchen, moments later I notice that there is a lovely cinnamon scent wafting my way. Well, that’s nice, I think. I give the cookies a bit more time before I go to check on them. Then I realize, I forgot to set the timer. The result? Two dozen half burnt cookies. Le sigh. Good thing this recipe makes nearly 6 dozen cookies, so I put in another round and they come out perfect. Crunchy around the edges and soft in the middle. And surprisingly, they are quite tasty!  I would even say that they are better than Cookie #1. The dates do add a jolt of much needed sugar and there is a hint of nutmeg, neither is overwhelming. I guess there is a good reason these cookies have survived over a century!  



No Timer vs Timer

Since I don’t care for walnuts, if I were to recreate these Hermits I would substitute almonds and then play around with adding other dried fruits, like blueberries or cranberries. But all in all, this isn’t a bad cookie. My apologies to the old man in the printed chair. 

Cookie Grade: B = Good initial flavor profile. But still not an exact recipe I’d replicate.
What I was jammin’ to: Steve Miller Band


1 comment: